Languages:

  • English
This site is created using Wikimapia data. Wikimapia is an open-content collaborative map project contributed by volunteers around the world. It contains information about 32366624 places and counting. Learn more about Wikimapia and cityguides.

Newport, Rhode Island recent comments:

  • Clarendon Court, apicozzi wrote 13 years ago:
    Currently for sale. Asking price $15,800,000.00. The owner is an art dealer from Washington D.C.
  • "Seaview Terrace", B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    great job including the vid here, classic :)
  • Bailey's Beach - Spouting Rock Beach Association, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    see also "Reject's Beach" ;)
  • Normandie (1914), B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    aka Cherry Neck, see old postcard - http://www.cardcow.com/260995/cherry-neck-residence-mrs-wortham-james-ocean-drive-newport-rhode-island/
  • The Brick Market Building, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    "The Granary, situated at the head of Long Wharf, and facing the "Parade" or Washington Square, was erected in 1763. It is after the Ionic order of architecture and cost £ 24,000, which sum was raised by a lottery. It was origi- nally intended for a public market or granary, the records saying that the "upper part shall be divided into stores for dry goods, and all rents thereof, together with all profits be lodged in the town treasury of Newport toward a stock for purchasing grain for supplying a Public Granary forever. The lower part shall be used as a Market House, and for no other use forever." http://www.archive.org/stream/guidetonewportrh00weis/guidetonewportrh00weis_djvu.txt
  • Hammersmith Farm, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    Standard Oil money - Hugh Dudley Auchincloss, Jr. (August 15, 1897 – November 20, 1976) was an American stockbroker and lawyer who became the second husband of Janet Lee Bouvier, the mother of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Auchincloss was born at Hammersmith Farm in Newport, Rhode Island. He was the son of Hugh Dudley Auchincloss (1858–1913), a merchant and financier, and Emma Brewster Jennings, daughter of Oliver B. Jennings, a founder of Standard Oil.
  • Hunter House (1748), B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    corrected
  • Bruen Villa (The Hedges), B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    according to "Gilded" Julia Sullivan purchased the gardener's residence here at the auction of Bruen Villa in 1912, she lived here with her brother the famed junk collector/dealer Timothy, "Timmy the Woodhooker" http://books.google.com/books?id=h1-GjivpBWMC&lpg=PA158&ots=nC36loHNQQ&dq=timmy the woodhooker&pg=PA158#v=onepage&q=timmy the woodhooker&f=false
  • Newport Grand Slots, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    yeah, ummm foxwoods casino is only an hour away, don't waste your time and money here....
  • Wrentham House (Indian Spring), B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    ProJo article on the restoration 4/16/2008 - http://www.projo.com/generalassembly/EB_NPTMANSION16_04-16-08_RT9P6VB_v13.34ac1e0.html
  • Ochre Court, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    see also - http://web.salve.edu/virtualtour/buildings/ochre_court.html
  • Salve Regina University, B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    Details on the many historic buildings that make up Salve's campus - http://web.salve.edu/virtualtour/
  • Beacon Rock (1887-91), B422 wrote 13 years ago:
    http://www.beaconrocknewport.com/history.html Currently, Beacon Rock is owned by Attorney Brian R. Cunha, who acquired “Beacon Rock” in 1996 and has fully renovated and restored the property.
  • The Waves, B422 (guest) wrote 13 years ago:
    Pelican Ledge, the home of Senator Claiborne and Nuala Pell was built in 1952 on a portion of this land overlooking Bailey's Beach. http://www.projo.com/extra/2005/thepells/slideshows/morephotos/
  • Fairholme, buffalobill (guest) wrote 14 years ago:
    http://www.luxist.com/2011/01/03/fairholme-estate-of-the-day/ sales listing
  • Fairholme, buffalobill (guest) wrote 14 years ago:
    recently owned by Janet Annenberg Hooker (got her money from publishing) think tv guide, seventeen magazine, etc... her kids are selling it now I believe
  • Bois Dore (1927), veegeecee wrote 14 years ago:
    A bit of its history can be found at this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/garden/28dollie.html?pagewanted=print
  • Armsea Hall (House Position), seafordian wrote 14 years ago:
    non-existent, moving to historical layer list
  • The Orchard, buffalobill (guest) wrote 14 years ago:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/garden/09who.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=the%20orchards%20newport&st=cse
  • Hunter House (1748), dapaz123 (guest) wrote 15 years ago:
    Hunter house is one block south on the southern side of Elm Street.